Wednesday, June 15, 2011

June 1 - The Idea of Mt Adams

I Love to Climb Mt Adams. The first time I climbed it was about 1980, while I was taking the Seattle Mountaineers climbing course. I've climbed Mt Adams about 10 times as best I can remember. I love getting above treeline, the beauty and grandeur of the high country, the camaraderie, and most of all, the great snow glissades coming down. With a pure snow route with no glaciers or crevasses, it is easy to climb with just an ice axe, gaiters and crampons.  The most enjoyable way to climb in my book is to base camp at the Lunch Counter (a flat spot at about the 9,500' level), and go for the top in the morning.

By the way, I am Roger Matthews, living in Maple Valley, and a retired snowbird spending part of the year in Washington State and part in Arizona. Today is my birthday, which adds to my motivation. I injured my knee three years ago, and was unsure if I could ever climb again. But in the past two years, I've climbed Casa Grande Mountain in Arizona twice with my old climbing buddy, Norm Wight. And most recently, I've climbed Little Si (1,200') last weekend, June 12th, 2011, with my friend, Robert Smith, which will be the subject of my next blog post. My goal is to climb Mt Si with Robert. Mt Si is about the same as climbing to base camp at the Lunch Counter, so if I can do Mt Si, I've got it made....I will be able to climb Mt Adams again!  Yay!

But back to Robert Smith. He is engaged in a very worthwhile charity endeavor.  He is climbing Mt Si to get in shape for a volunteer trip to Cuzco, Peru, and wearing ankle weights while doing so. In his words, , "I was wearing the weights to prepare myself for the 3,000-meter elevation of Cuzco, Peru, where a team of us will be going in August on a public health mission for the descendants of Incas, who are living in tough conditions. Many of these people will speak only Quechua, the Inca language. They live in tiny homes that are filled with smoke from the open wood fires they rely on for heating and cooking. Three months after they obtain an enclosed stove with a chimney, their lung capacity improves by as much as 12 percent."  Wow!

Here is the map that forms the background of this blog.  It is of our hiking/climbing route on Mt Adams. Did I mention, that I love to climb Mt Adams :).


No comments:

Post a Comment